Cornerstone has been a church for 23 years. Here is a brief history of how it all began:
- About 1990 – The Mountaintown Baptist Association bought this property with the dream of beginning a church in this area. But no church was started, and they were getting ready to sell the property when Rev. James Hollingsworth, a bi-vocational minister, said, “I will give it a try to see if we can begin a church.” They did -in 1995, and he was Pastor for the first five years. A first unit building was constructed consisting of Sanctuary, two class rooms and a kitchen.
- Dr. Paul & Janice Mims had retired here in 1998, and Paul was called as Pastor in October of 2000. A $48,000 debt on the first building was paid off and a two story educational building was built mostly with volunteer labor and the help of the Missions Committee of First Baptist Church of Blairsville. The debt of $122,000 was paid in five years.
- June 5, 2011, a lightning strike set the building on fire and it was a total loss. We knew that God would bring good things out of it. A year later we worshipped in this new building that was totally paid for by the good insurance that we had.
- April 28, 2019, Pastor Paul Mims retired as Pastor of Cornerstone.
- May 1, 2019, Welcomes Dr. David Drake as interim Pastor.
- April 6, 2020 Welcomes Pastor Gordon Lawrence.
- The history of Cornerstone is not understood just by the men who have served as pastor, but by the dedication of the men and women, youth and children, who have made up this congregation. Members have come and gone and God has created a blessed fellowship that is on mission for our Lord.